Have you joined any Twitter chats before?
If not, it’s safe to say you’re missing out on an incredible opportunity. And I’m not saying that just because Express Writers has our own monthly chat, #ContentWritingChat.
Twitter chats bring likeminded people together from all over the world. They provide a place for everyone to share their thoughts, offer advice, and ask questions. Not only that, but the right chats could lead to new friendships and even potential clients for your brand. That’s why it’s time you take advantage of them.
To help you see the true value in Twitter chats, this guide shares their benefits, tips for joining in on the fun, and five chats to add to your calendar ASAP.
Why Twitter Chats Are a Huge Opportunity for Your Brand
Twitter chats are a live conversation in which a host asks questions and encourages participants to share their thoughts and opinions. These chats are an hour long and typically happen on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis. And there’s usually a specific topic for each new chat. It’s essentially one big hangout where people with similar interests can come together and talk.
It sounds great, right? But why do these chats present such a huge opportunity for those who are using Twitter to build their online presence?
Here are three reasons participating in Twitter chats is great for your brand:
- They Help You Make Connections: With so many likeminded people together for a lively hour of Twitter chatting, it’s a great way to make friends or discover potential customers who may be interested in purchasing your brand’s offerings.
- You Get to Share Your Expertise: Positioning yourself as an authority in your field is essential to establishing your brand and also building trust with your target audience. Through Twitter chats, you can share your knowledge, showing people that you really know your stuff.
- They’re a Great Place to Learn: Not only do you get to share what you know, but you’ll be able to learn from others who are participating in these chats. You never know when someone might share a game-changing tip or trick that will help you take your online presence to the next level.
How to Join a Twitter Chat: 4 Tips for Being a Great Participant
To get started, you’ll want to identify different Twitter chats in your niche that you may be interested in. If you’re using chats as a way to grow your brand, you’ll want to be strategic about the ones you join. Meaning, it’ll be smart to participate in chats where you can showcase your expertise and connect with your target audience. Once you’ve selected a few, you just need to schedule time to join them.
Once that time comes, there are a few rules you’ll want to keep in mind.
1. Label your answers with A1, A2, etc. This is a pretty standard rule for all Twitter chats. The reason you want to do this is because it helps other participants match your answers with the correct question. If someone wanted to read all the responses to the first question, yours will be easy to identify.
2. Engage with others. Once you’re in the chat, don’t just share your answers to the questions and ignore the others who are also responding. Make an effort to interact with those who are joining in by replying to their answers and adding your own thoughts. You can even ask questions to further the conversation.
3. No self-promotion. Sharing a link to a blog post you know would be helpful is one thing, but you definitely don’t want to spend the hour promoting your content and offerings. Doing so may come off a little sleazy and kind of intrudes on the host of the chat.
4. Follow any other rules the chat may have. Some hosts make it a point to share set “house rules” for their chat. If you find yourself in a chat with rules like this, please be respectful of them. For example, our chat has a few simple rules that you can see in the graphic above.
5 Twitter Chats to Add to Your Calendar
Now that you’re prepared to be an amazing participant in Twitter chats, you’ll need to find a few to join. Luckily, I’ve rounded up a list of some great options for content creators and marketers.
1. #CMWorld, Hosted by @CMIContent
If you’re a content marketing expert or wanting to learn more about being a content creation pro, mark your calendars for every Tuesday at 12 PM Eastern. That’s when #CMWorld from Content Marketing Institute takes place. This chat always features knowledgeable guests and educational topics, so you’re sure to learn something that you can implement for your brand.
2. #semrushchat, Hosted by @Semrush
If you love SEO, digital marketing, and everything in between, #semrushchat is the place to be. Hosted by our friends at Semrush, you’ll learn all sorts of amazing tips that will help you get your content ranking on the first page of those Google search results. If you want to join, this chat happens every Wednesday at 11 AM Eastern Time.
3. #TwitterSmarter, Hosted by @MadalynSklar
Don’t let the name fool you! While Madalyn Sklar’s #TwitterSmarter chat is often focused on Twitter-related conversations, she still covers general social media topics that appeal to all marketers. It’s a must for anyone wanting to stand out on social media. This chat is held every Thursday at 1 PM Eastern Time.
4. #ContentChat, Hosted by @SFErika
Here at Express Writers, we love Twitter chats that teach the value of creating great content. That’s exactly what Erika Heald does every Monday at 3 PM Eastern during #ContentChat. This chat covers topics like content marketing, social media, email marketing, and more.
5. #Digital360Chat, Hosted by @B2the7
Bernie Fussenegger leads the #Digital360Chat every Friday at 12 PM Eastern. The way he’s set up this chat is rather unique. One chat per month is dedicated to sharing tips focused on marketing (digital and social media). Then, the rest of the chats are an “In the Spotlight” feature that is centered around a specific marketer and their career.
Join Us for #ContentWritingChat!
While you’re adding these awesome chats to your calendar, there’s one more you don’t want to forget. And that’s our very own, #ContentWritingChat! It takes place on the first Tuesday of every month at 10 AM Central Time. We chat about all sorts of topics from content marketing to SEO and social media. It’s the place to be for content creators.