Creating content that converts is something every single website and business owner wants. You want people to come to your site, read your content, and click links to buy services or products. However, you might find it difficult to create content that converts your visitors into leads. I want to share some excellent ways that you can ensure you get great content that will convert your readers into clients, as well as keeping them for the long-term. Let’s take a look at the various aspects of content and specific points within each that can help you craft expert content that helps to generate leads.
Blogging is an important aspect of any online campaign because it can bring in visitors and convert them quickly. You need to make sure you add a blog to your website to help generate engagement with your client base, as well as creating something that directs people to the rest of your site. You can do a number of things with a blog, and I am going to look at some of the elements you need to consider when blogging.
1. Use WordPress Only for Blogging. WordPress is a great blogging tool that can help you get some powerful results. There are many reasons why I think this is the best to use for your blogging needs. Some of the reasons are that it is SEO friendly, you can have a great blog design, and WordPress has been around long enough to be a trusted blogging resource. I would suggest using WordPress only for your blogging purposes, but you can use it for your static website, as well. They have a great selection of SEO plugins that help you get the most out of your blog, and so much more. Take a look at their blog platform to see just how easy it is to use and which aspects will benefit your business’s site.
2. Optimize Every Single Post. When you use WordPress, make sure that you optimize every post. WordPress makes it easy for blogs to be optimized to their fullest potential, and you need to take advantage of that. In order to get great optimization, do keyword research and use your low competition keywords in your posts. Make sure you optimize any and every image you use and select a good link name to use for the blog. How can you optimize every single aspect of a blog post with WordPress? I am going to look at that in my next point.
3. Use SEO Plugins On WordPress. As I mentioned earlier, one of the best parts of WordPress is the ability to use SEO plugins to optimize your blog further. There are several great plugins out there, but you need to choose the ones that will benefit you the most. WP Beginner highlights some of the latest SEO plugins you can use such as WordPress SEO by Yoast, SEMRush, and Google Keyword Planner. Take a look at the others listed to find some that can help your blog! You can also choose other plugins that aren’t specifically for SEO; just choose wisely and only choose the ones that will help your site and blog.
4. Use Big, Awesome, Colorful Adjectives in Your Headers. Your headlines and headers are crucial to convincing people to click and read through your blogs. When you create headlines or headers, make sure that you use amazing adjectives that capture attention. As you can see, I used a few in this header, illustrating how powerful, excellent adjectives can make a header. If you are trying to come up with great headlines or headers, you can follow a few suggestions of some of the hottest headlines out there to get started.
5. Use Action Words in Your Headers. Action words in headers are just as important as colorful adjectives because they convince readers to do something as they read. You can use action words in all of your headers, or you can wait until you create your call to action. Whichever way you choose, just keep in mind that you need to convince people to do something more than just reading your post. You can also do a mix of action words in a few headers throughout your blog and at the end for your call to action, which can be quite powerful.
6. Do a Controversial Blog Every Now and Then. Get your readers to sign up for something or go to a page by sharing a similar hatred or anger for something. Humanity is interesting and weird, isn’t it? We tend to do more when we connect with something, and many times that can be something we all feel strongly about and stand against. For example, how many people were willing to do whatever it took to stop the process of major corporations being able to take over the Internet? Several people and it was something that made all Internet users quite angry. When something like Net Neutrality comes up, you can use that as a way to write a blog and get people to act, no matter what the item is. You can also utilize trends like #WheresNatasha or other trends that have people angry or upset about something.
7. Do an Occasional Blog that Revolves Around Humor. Along with focusing on a controversy, focusing on humor is another way to get people to open up their wallets and buy your product. People love to laugh, and if you can make them laugh they will be more willing to buy items or services from you. Always make sure you are following some basic guidelines for using humor in your blog to ensure you have an impactful piece. A few things to remember are to be respectful, know your audience, and stay true to your specific brand. Once you incorporate humor, you will start to see many of your visitors starting to turn into leads.
8. Write Fun, Exciting Blogs On Seasonal Topics. When you sit down to plan out your content strategy, make sure that you look at holidays, the seasons, and any other seasonal items. Why? Because seasonal content can provide you with great inspiration for more blog posts. You don’t just have to stick with writing the typical Christmas or Thanksgiving posts, but can write on something like seasonal fails (burnt food, terrible presents, and more) or family or friend memories. Try to write your seasonal content with a fun, fresh voice without coming across sales-like to make the posts even more powerful.
9. Post a Recap Blog from an Event (and Add Photos!). Did you just have a fun event for your business? Then post a recap blog and add photos! This gives a great “behind the scenes” look at your business while giving people something to connect with. Your clients are more likely to feel a relationship with you and your business if you include them in things like your events, even if it wasn’t for clients. Your blog provides you with the unique chance to do this, and you can even use it to promote future events for your clients.
10. Use Customer Questions for Blog Inspiration. If you are looking for great blog content that can help promote a relationship and convert visitors, then utilize customer questions for blog posts. This is a great way to answer common questions while maintaining and building relationships with your clients. You can even host a monthly event where people submit their questions and you answer a handful every week, providing people with the information they want to see.
11. Write News Pieces on Your Blog. A great way to create content that converts is to start writing news pieces along with your other content. This helps you craft timely pieces that focus on trends within your industry, and offers value to your readers. You can easily find news topics in your industry by finding and following industry leaders who will post about similar topics and ideas. Always make sure you do your research and give excellent citations when creating news pieces to help make it trustworthy and set you apart as an expert in your field.
12. Do Not Hesitate to Get a Copyeditor. Every writer, no matter how skilled, needs a copyeditor. Copyeditors can read over your written material to make sure there aren’t any grammatical or spelling errors, that your pieces flow well, and that they make sense. Chances are if you simply write a blog piece and post it without editing, you are posting something with errors. We all make errors when writing, and it is hard to spot every single one with your own eye. A copyeditor can spot that, and he or she will help make your blog or web content top quality. This will help make readers trust your business more, and it will definitely make Google happy.
II. Social Media
The next aspect of content marketing is that of social media. It is just as important as your blog because it helps you connect individually with clients. It also opens up a new engagement method and gives you a great way to promote the blogs you’ve been writing. Let’s look at different aspects of social media that you should keep in mind when aiming to convert with your content.
13. Be on Facebook and Write For Facebook. Facebook is still a great social media channel to be part of, regardless of what you might be hearing. It can help convert many visitors into leads, and helps you stay in contact with your clients. With its constant evolving and improving, Facebook provides you with many great chances to reach out to your audience. Just how can you use Facebook for the best? There are many great tips out there and a few are:
- Always share links on Facebook, especially if you are linking to your website or blog. Facebook’s design for links helps to showcase images, giving people visual content with a link to click on.
- Create a post that is powerful in just a few characters. While you don’t have the limitation you do on Twitter, people have a higher likelihood of reading your Facebook post if it is short and to the point.
- It’s good to post your Facebook content during non-peak times, giving your post a chance to be seen and not lost in a sea of other posts.
- Have a consistent sharing strategy and plan for Facebook, and all of your social media channels.
- Use hashtags on Facebook to reach more people. Many people don’t realize that Facebook hashtags do actually work, and hashtags are no longer just limited to Twitter.
- When you create Facebook content, make sure you know your audience through research. Once you do, you can use Facebook’s targeting capabilities to select the various people who you want your ads and posts to reach. Vertical Response’s blog gives a great look at just how to do this to improve your Facebook posts.
14. Be on Twitter and Write for Twitter. Twitter is a great social channel and is one of the busiest channels right now. There are millions of people worldwide tweeting about their favorite shows, movies, and world events, and they could be your audience. You need to get on the social channel and begin writing and using Twitter to help leverage your business. If you want to see just how powerful Twitter has been and will be, take a look at Buffer’s excellent article.
One of the first things to realize is that Twitter focuses on what is known as micro-blogging, which means that their channel only allows for short tweets (140 characters maximum). Prepare to write content that is short and to the point. If you’re already doing this with Facebook, you shouldn’t have much trouble with Twitter. Forbes has a great list of other things to keep in mind when writing for Twitter such as:
- Engage with your audience when they respond to your Twitter posts.
- Keep your posts focused on one main goal.
- Utilize humor and/or images in your Tweets.
- Make sure that your profile is complete with profile image, bio, website link, and cover image.
15. Should You be on Instagram? Instagram is a great social channel, but it can be tricky to know if you should or shouldn’t be on it. There are a few things to consider such as whether or not you utilize visual marketing, if your clients are on the channel, or if your competitors are on it. Sit down to get familiar with Instagram and look to see if your business can benefit from it. You might be surprised just how much it might. If you get on the channel, make sure to use it to benefit your company by utilizing hashtags, knowing the age demographic you are trying to reach, and understanding how to use Instagram for Business.
16. What Other Social Media Channels Should You Use? Outside of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, there are several other excellent social media channels to use. You need to make sure it is something that your company can truly benefit from before getting on it, however. A few of the top channels are:
- Google Plus. Google makes sure to make this a vital aspect if you want to rank on the SERP. It’s a given to get this for SEO purposes.
- Pinterest. Do you do a lot of visual marketing? Do you share a lot of photos and DIY tips? Then this channel might just be what your company needs.
- LinkedIn. This channel is great for business-to-business models as many professional utilize this channel. You most likely won’t be able to reach out to the general public here, but it can really help you network within your industry as well as help your B2B model.
- YouTube. This is another great visual marketing social channel. If you make videos, then this is the place to share them!
17. No Matter the Channel, Always Engage With Clients. Social media requires that you be social, which means that if you aren’t engaging with your clients, it will fall flat. Sometimes it can be hard to get engagement, but once you get it you need to make sure you are engaging back. When someone re-tweets you, thank him or her. If someone comments on a post or responds to a tweet, respond back. This will help foster a relationship with your followers and clients, and make them more likely to continue engaging. When you engage, you are also boosting your chances of converting your followers into customers.
18. Change Up Your Blog Headlines When You Post to Social Media. Creating the perfect headline for your blog is important when you want to draw in readers. However, it is also important for you to change it up when you share on social media. You want to share your blog a few times throughout the month, which means that you shouldn’t be posting the exact same title. A great way to mix it up is to come up with a few different variations and use those all on social media. This can help bring in more readers, and catch the attention of different people.
19. Figure Out the Best Times to Post for Your Business. Learning when to post to social media for your business, and what to post when, can really help when it comes to converting and generating leads. There are many different studies out there, such as NewsCred’s, which talks about some of the best times to post your content. While this can be a helpful starting point, you need to make sure to try different times to see what works best for your business. Don’t hesitate to try out new things and new times to find the best choice for you.
Advertising is still a major part of converting people into leads for your business. There are many newer methods of advertising such as social media, but the tried and true methods are just as handy. What are some of the different aspects of advertising that you should consider for your business? Read on further to see some answers that are sure to help you grow your business and create content that converts.
20. Should You Have Ads and Brochures in the Digital Age? Ads and brochures were something that many businesses utilized a few years ago to help promote their business or services. Many people wonder if they are still useful now in 2015; they can be excellent for your business still. In the digital age, you can now create brochures that are available online for your viewers to download and look at, and if you have a physical location, you can print out paper ones. However, if you don’t want to waste paper for a brochure at your physical shop, you could use QR codes and other digital methods to share brochures with people when they come in.
21. Should You Utilize Television Advertisements? It might seem like TV ads are a thing of the past when it comes to digital and Internet ads. However, it is still a great idea for many businesses. How so? Well, Google Fiber is slowly taking over America as a new form of cable TV, allowing faster access instead of using traditional cable or satellite. Google Fiber is starting to change the game when it comes to ads, by basing what viewers see on their TVs off of their viewing history, much like digital ads now. Consider getting an ad spot or two to benefit your company, especially in areas where Google Fiber is being used.
22. Create Downloadable Incentives. People love to get free things, which means offering your visitors downloadable incentives for signing up for emails or purchasing products is a great idea. Downloadable incentives can be things like free eBooks, Whitepapers, services, or whatever else you would like to give to clients. This can make them feel appreciated when they sign up for your email list or when they purchase something, giving them instant gratification.
23. Social Media Ads are Still Powerful Tools. Social media is a great place for advertising because it is, usually, free. Throughout the years, people have written about why you should focus on organic social media results, but the reality is that organic is falling away. Organic results are still very possible, so don’t worry about that, but in order to have more of an impact on social media, you need to utilize paid ads. This will help broaden your reach and can bring in new readers and customers quickly and easily.
24. Are Press Releases Still a Viable Option? While it might seem like press releases are a thing of the past, that isn’t the case just yet. They are still viable options when it comes to advertising. When you create a press release now, you always need to be sure that it is something that can, and will be, published as its own article. You will also want to make sure that you make the press release available for your Internet audience through a blog or a downloadable PDF, as this is where many people will see it.
25. Never Forget About the Power of Email Marketing. Like press releases, people often wonder if email marketing is still important to advertising. Email is still vital, and it is something you need to dedicate a decent portion of your advertising budget for. According to Forbes, when you dedicate some of your budget to email marketing, you will see an increase in lead generation, be able to connect email campaigns with your current content campaign, and measure results easily. Don’t neglect email when it comes to creating content that converts; this might just be the thing that generates more leads for your business.
IV. Visual Content
In this section, I am going to look at visual content and how it can benefit your business. Many people don’t know if visual content is for their company, but it really can help convert visitors into leads quickly. It also makes things easier to share on social media and helps people who want to consume short content to do so.
26. Create Short, Succulent Content for Infographics. Infographics are excellent for visual content and can help your customers and readers consume more content quickly. They are also easily shared on social media. When you create an infographic, you should always make sure that the content is short and incredibly interesting to help drive engagement and shares. Many people who consume infographics as a form of content are looking for shorter, easier to read content.
This infographic from Quick Sprout is an excellent example of what an infographic should look like.
27. Create Videos or Podcasts from Your Content. Other great forms of visual content are videos and podcasts. These are great for people who are commuting on trains or when someone is taking a lunch break during the workday. In fact, depending on the individual’s job, a podcast might be something they listen to throughout their workday. Because of this, it is important to create videos and/or podcasts for your business. Any business can leverage a great campaign through these content mediums; just take a look at Accenture’s YouTube channel.
28. Utilize Images on Social Media and in Blogs. Visual content isn’t just for your blogs and website but is also an important aspect of social media. Images on social media will bring in more viewers as people connect better with images than with words. This is especially true now that our society is so visual. In addition to connecting better with images, people on social media are also more likely to share a post that utilizes images or video on the channel. I’m not referring to videos or images that are on your blog or site, but to images and video that you upload directly to Facebook, Twitter, and other social channels. Start using some visual content on social media to see just how many clicks and shares you get.
29. Create a Video Web Series for Your Content. As I mentioned, video content is great to help convert visitors into buyers, and a great idea is to create a web series based off of your content. You can tell stories or adapt your content into a series that people find enjoyable. A great example of a web series adapting content is the Lizzie Bennett Diaries, which is a modern adaptation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. While you might not be retelling a classic story, a web series that follows some sort of story with your content can help connect with your audience and build relationships with them.
30. Encourage User-Generated Visual Content. Another excellent way to get and use visual content is to utilize user-generated content. If you have products that are perfect for visual content, then you can encourage your clients to tweet and Instagram images of them with the product or of the product itself. You can create a contest to get the ball rolling on user-generated visual content, but people do still like sharing pictures of products they buy. Always be sure you like any photos that are tagged to your business to help promote engagement and encourage even more user-generated content.
V. Content Audits and Research
While content creation is a vital aspect when it comes to converting leads, you also need to make sure your existing content is hitting the target. SEO changes from month to month as we all know thanks to Google’s many changes. In addition, your keywords can change over time, and you might need to spruce up existing web content. The best way to do this is to utilize content audits and do keyword and content research.
31. Get an Audit of Your Content to Fix Any Problems. A content audit is a great idea when it comes to making sure your existing content is on point. It can help you find if any of your links are broken if your SEO is off from what is current, and which blogs need to have changes made.
A content audit can help you figure out just what needs to be changed, freshened up, and gives you great ideas on how to handle your upcoming content. It will make your strategy more effective and powerful, giving you the chance to convert more with your existing and upcoming content.
32. Do Keyword Research to Find the Best, Most Powerful Keywords. While they might not be as central to an SEO plan now, keywords are still important when it comes to ranking. However, many people don’t realize that your keywords can change over time, and if you don’t make necessary changes, they won’t help you create powerful content. A great thing to do is to do keyword research throughout the year to find the best keywords, keeping your content up-to-date. You can either do it yourself by following HubSpot’s helpful guide or hire SEO experts to do the research for you. Either way, you will be on the track to finding keywords for your content that will help generate leads.
33. Don’t Forget the Importance of Content Curation. Content curation can help you find excellent resources for your web content, as well as finding great things to share on social media. Customers love to see more than just links to your website, so sharing curated content helps to break that up and give them great resources. Content Marketing Institute gives a great guide on how to do content curation to find excellent sources for your business as well as for your customers.
VI. Web Pages
If you want to create content that converts, you will also need to make sure your web pages for products and services are top quality. When Google approaches your website to rank it on the SERP, it will approach the entirety of your website, not just your blogs. Let’s see just how you can approach your landing pages to make them powerful, helping your site rank, as well as creating content that converts.
34. Create Powerful Landing Pages. One of the first things you need to do when it comes to making your whole website effective is to create excellent landing pages. You can utilize web designers to help you create something that will not only look great but be easy to navigate for your customers. A landing page is an important aspect of every website because this is where people usually happen across your site. Sure, the “home” page is important, but not many people will go to your home page at first. They will find a landing page through your blogs and social media posts.
35. Have Pages for Individual Services or Products. A great way to utilize your landing pages is to have pages for individual services or products. This provides you with several landing pages that people can happen across on the SERP, through blogs and social media. This will help direct people to a particular product they are interested in so as to keep them from being overwhelmed with other products they don’t want. Express Writers utilizes landing pages for every single one of our services, which makes it so much easier for our clients to find the services they want and need. Try this out on your site to see just how much conversion you can get from multiple landing pages.
36. Each Page Needs Its Own Call to Action. When you create individual landing pages, make sure that each has its very own call to action. This will help encourage people who are reading the content to click on the links to look at or purchase content. You will find that call to actions on your pages are perfect when it comes to creating content that converts. Never ignore the call to action, no matter what.
37. Keep the Design Easy and Simple to Understand. Usability is something you want to keep in mind when creating your website and web content. It needs to be easy to understand and use, and if it isn’t, you could lose customers quickly. If you want content that converts, then you need to have a website that is easy to use and understand. You don’t want visitors to get frustrated with your website. Once you have an easy-to-use site, people are much more likely to stick around and buy your products or services.
Conversion is Absolutely Possible Through Content
Following the various tips in this blog, you can easily start creating content that helps convert. Every single idea can help bring in a new customer, as well as keeping your existing ones around. Long-term customers are yet another way to help convert visitors into leads. If you need an expert in any of the fields mentioned above, do not hesitate to contact Express Writers. We have an excellent team of writers, social media managers, and more who can help craft expert content that converts. Contact us, today!