Anyone who has ever published a website is automatically familiar with the term “Content is King”. Lots of time, money, and effort goes into reaching top ranking on well known search engines such as Google, MSN, Bing and Yahoo!. But many of the people that invest in an attempt to get high page ranking on search engines give little thought to the chief elements needed in creating the foundation: content that is reader-friendly.
New Year’s Mantra: Content Is for People, Not for Search Engines
It is very important to understand that the content you write should be first and foremost for people, and not for search engines. Once readers value your blog or website content, they will definitely keep coming back for more and even share your content with others. If you follow the content generation tips below, you will not have a problem writing reader-friendly content. The cherry on the pie is when search engines begin to rank your website or blog high because your content is well-written and reader-friendly.
If you invest the time to read a lot of articles on the internet about content creation, you will notice that it is nearly impossible to find an article that really hammers on the importance of writing for readers and not search engines. With the popularity of this trend, one will be compelled to ask “Are bloggers and web content writers totally ignoring readers and focusing all their attention on search engine spiders?”
Hmm… it would be untrue to say that most bloggers and semi-professional website writers genuinely create content with the sole aim of educating their target readers. Most writers simply create content that will rank high in search engine results, period. Professional copywriters focus on 3 things before writing ridiculously effective content pieces. Professional writers have mastered the art of writing articles that will please both readers and search engine bots.
Must-follow Tips for Better Webpages in 2014
1. Generate Content on What You Specialize In. There is no doubt that this is the most important thing for any writer to take into consideration. When you have in-depth knowledge on a subject, it provides you with the tools and inspiration to write compelling articles that will keep readers coming back to your web page for more. Specialization also gives you great confidence and helps you provide details about the topic you are covering. You are most likely to include facts and insights when writing a very familiar topic that may have not been covered by other writers who have written on the same subject. There is nothing more wonderful than seeing writers connect with your thoughts and nodding their head in agreement while reading what you have written. Have you ever read an article where you felt like the writer is actually in your home and understands what you are going through? Yes, that is the power of a compelling content – it connects with the reader.
When you write on topics that you are most familiar with, it really sets you apart from the crowd. Visitors to your website will, in time, love your content and will definitely keep coming back for more. There is no Google algorithm change that will EVER affect this particular content generation tip – and you can take that to the bank!
Search Engine Optimization Hint: Highly informative and well-detailed content are known to rank high on Google search results.
2. Group Major Parts of Content into Sub-headings. One of the content writing tactics to avoid includes using poor formatting. When you categorize your content into subheadings, this will help you structure your content better, and make it reader-friendly. People like to read articles that are structured and flow well. You should consider which headings need to be placed higher and which headings should follow. Even if an article is five thousand words long, if it is well structured, readers will keep reading from the top to the bottom.
Search Engine Optimization Hint: When your article is well-structured, it will be a lot easier for you to create crisp, compelling title tags and headings for better SEO ranking.
3. Stay Focused on the Chosen Subject – Don’t Stray! There are times when you want to write about a subject matter, but you find yourself going on and on about another topic that is closely related to the main topic you are writing about. It is important to stay focused on the key topic of the article. You need to understand that the attention span of an average web user is short, and they do not have the time to waste on reading irrelevant content. Readers want to read well-written content on their enquiries. Concise and crisp articles are inviting to readers. Web pages and articles that lack focus seldom get repeat visitors and often NEVER get shared, tagged or pinned. Creating content that sticks to the subject matter is a great writing practice that every writer should stick to.
Search Engine Optimization Hint: Having content that gets repeat visitors will help boost your search engine ranking with search engines, especially almighty Google.
4. Create Opinionated and Detailed Content. It is very easy to use your personal experience when you write on a subject matter that you specialize in. Providing your honest opinion wherever possible will come easily to you. People love to read an expert’s personal experiences and also want to know their honest opinions. Once they know that they can count on getting your personal contribution on the topic of their liking, there is a high possibility that they will bookmark your blog or website, share your content with others and keep coming back for more.
Search Engine Optimization Hint: Having more visitors to your blog or website means having higher search engine ranking.
5. Include an Introductory and Conclusion Paragraph… Always. It is important that you follow a simple, yet important and expected writing style. Include an introductory and concluding paragraph wherever possible within your blog posts or articles. Yes, it is a standard practice, and yes, readers expect it. When you include introduction and conclusion paragraphs in your blog posts or articles, it provides readers with a much better web experience.
Search Engine Optimization Hint: Well-written, structured blogs and web pages get higher rankings in search engines.
6. Do Not Forget to Give Vivid and Suitable Examples Wherever Possible. When you give examples, it helps readers visualize things better. Mental pictures help create a connection between readers and the content – this is why we all love fiction writers like George RR Martin or Stephen King. Fiction writers have a way of helping us escape into the world of the characters they created. They make us love, hate, adore, sympathize, criticize and understand their characters by simply using the power of words. In order to keep the interest levels of your readers high, include examples where possible.
Search Engine Optimization Hint: Though examples may not be important to search engines currently, with the ever changing algorithm, top search engines will evaluate blogs and websites for examples…in the future.
7. Give Professional Hints and Tips. If you are creating content on technical subjects, then it is important to offer helpful hints and tips wherever possible. When you are writing walk-through guides, tutorials or how-to articles, it is important to provide valuable hints and tips. Heidi Cohen is one professional who knows how to give valuable professional tips in her write-ups.
8. Make Use of Your Own Voice or Style – Do Not Be a Copycat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with reading web pages or blog posts written by other writers in your niche, but it is vital that you create your own unique style and content. Create content using your own words. It is super easy to find copied content on the internet. The copyright laws for both online and offline writers are still the same – you should NEVER violate any copyright laws! Besides, your readers will begin to expect your unique writing style over time when they visit your blog page or website. Creating and presenting content in your own unique style is of utmost importance. No guide to creating content is complete without a heavy emphasis of “be original”.
Search Engine Optimization Hint: You will never have to worry about getting marked down for having duplicate content. Google hates duplicate content and would not hesitate to slam the hammer down hard on bloggers or website owners who think it is cute to steal other people’s content and pass it off as their own.
9. Give the Credit Back to Original Sources. Do you plan to use images or texts from another website or blog? Then you will need to provide credit back to the original source, or simply provide a link back to the source. When it comes to building a trusted brand on the internet, it is important that you do not get accused of stealing another person’s intellectual property. When you give credit to the original source, you are simply showing your ethics and intentions to others. Your readers will appreciate you for declaring the origin of an image or texts that is not yours, instead of passing them off as yours. If you choose to the look the other direction and claim someone else’s intellectual property as yours, when the truth comes out, it may ruin your reputation beyond repair.
Search Engine Optimization Hint: Search engines value credit backs and will grade you higher.
10. Use Images. Images play a vital role in creating better website content. Most people perceive online based content to be more graphical than regular books. Many online users want to see interesting images on your blog or website. If given a choice, most people would prefer to read blogs or web pages with images. You can take advantage of this by adding images on your blog or web page. Make sure you add the right titles and image alt tags for every image you use for your content – doing this will help in accessing your site, helping readers with special needs and search engines.
Search Engine Optimizing Hint: Providing the right image size, description and title will assist you in driving more traffic to your site through image searches as well.
Creating Content for the Web
By simply following the aforementioned content creation and search engine optimization hints, you can help improve the experience of visitors to your blog or website and also help you get high ranks in search engine results. In addition to this, following the aforementioned web writing tips will ensure the general improvement of the web. There is an art and science to creating quality content, every writer has their own way of creating compelling content. This post has explained the scientific aspect of creating quality content.
Let’s face it, not everyone is born with the gift of stringing words together in a way that will excite, convince, implore and motivate readers to take action. This is where professional writers come in. Professional writers know how to get into the psyche of readers and get them to take action. Professional writers know how to create content that will arrest the attention of target audiences and will rank high in search results.
An SEO copywriter does more than get a few keywords, sit in front of his or her computer and start typing away. They do some research, and know how to craft words that will strike a chord in readers. There is no point churning out articles that will not motivate readers to take action. The job of a professional writer is to use the right words that will motivate readers and make them feel a connection to your brand.
How you ever wondered why some words in books you read a long time ago still linger in your memory? You still remember some of the lines said by major and minor characters. You remember these books because you connected with words and the characters in the story.
A professional writer works hard to create content that does the same thing – connects with readers.