So, you want to create an online course. What are some basic keys and useful tips for getting going?
Maya Elious has some answers for us. (FYI, this was recorded before I launched my course. I learned a couple things that I applied. :-)) She’s an online branding expert, speaker, coach, and entrepreneur. I found her on Teachable’s Course Creation Workshop series, where she impressed me with her knowledge and insights.
Today, for episode 25 of the Write Podcast, she’s sharing her know-how about course creation strategies and copywriting tips. These are useful nuggets of wisdom especially relevant for the beginner but are great refreshers if you’re an old hat, too. Sit back and listen in!
The Write Podcast, E25: Course Copywriting & Strategy Tips with Maya Elious
- 1:38 – 4:48: How Maya Got Here. Maya started out doing web and graphic design. She always enjoyed helping people “look good” online, which naturally led her to brand strategizing. She worked with coaches, authors, teachers, trainers, and more, but she kept running into the same questions, over and over. She took these concepts and put them into her first course.
- 5:45 – 6:38: Beginner-Level Course Content Creation Strategies. Maya recommends starting with a course overview/outline, then doing a deep-dive. You’re ahead if you’ve worked with people 1:1. If you hear the same questions about a topic over and over, this tells you exactly what needs to go in your course.
- 6:40 – 9:20: Be as Niche as Possible. Maya explains why her #1 tip is to go niche. Digestible content that doesn’t take months to go through helps your students see success at 100%, which is better for you overall – it will equal more testimonials, case studies, and positive reviews/feedback.
- 9:55 – 11:05: Types of Media to Use in a Course. There’s no one right way to create a course. Maya gets personal and sits in front of the camera for her course videos. Think about how your audience likes to consume information – would they prefer to see your face? Or would slides work just as well?
- 11:15 – 12:15: Make Students Want to Follow Along. Think about the results you want your students to get when they move through your content. This will help you avoid fluff and provide meaty, useful information.
- 12:21 – 13:10: How to Create More Courses and More Passive Income Opportunities. Again, Maya discusses why going niche is the key to creating more courses and more income opportunities. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket, or all your best information in one product.
- 13:15 – 14:35: Course Copywriting Pitfalls. Maya talks about the biggest mistake you can make while copywriting for your course.
- 14:39 – 16:25: Course Platforms and Landing Pages. Teachable is a great course platform, not just for content, but also for sales pages. Build trust in the course outcomes before they ever get to the sales page.
- 16:30 – 17:25: Final Takeaways. If your first or second course launch isn’t successful, give it a chance to get in front of the right people. Ask for feedback – how can you make it better? Refine and tweak as you go.
Favorite Quotes to Tweet'When you’re truly niche you attract the right people, and I feel like your students get better results.' @mayaelious Click To Tweet 'People want a shortcut. If it takes six months to get through your course, you’re not providing it.' @mayaelious Click To Tweet I’m always thinking: 'What is it I have to do for students to follow along?' @mayaeliou Click To Tweet We want to make customers think: 'How much is this going to cost me if I DON'T make this investment?' @mayaelious Click To Tweet 'Give your course a chance to get in front of the right people.' @mayaelious Click To Tweet
- Visit Maya’s website
- Follow Maya on Twitter: @mayaelious
- See my all-new Practical Content Strategy Certification Course at www.contentstrategycourse.com – code WRITEPODCAST5 gets you 5% off all enrollment costs