We all know how important content is to our websites. It helps bring people in, converts visitors to leads and brings in great revenue. There are many awesome tips out there to help people come up with excellent content. However, one thing I’ve noticed recently is how many people still think duplicate content is perfectly fine for their site. But this is a big no-no in the content world, and I am going to take a look at this issue to show you why you need to get rid of duplicate content.
What is Duplicate Content?
Simply put, duplicate content is any content that is the exact same as another. Let’s say you have your home page and about page, and you decided to create information only for the about. This may leave you wondering what to put on the home page, and while you really don’t need much on it, you still might think about copying the about section there. This seems easy and like it can help save you time and money, but the truth is, it can hurt your ranks on Google, drive customers away, and just be an overall problem for your site.
Why Should You Get Rid of Duplicate Content?
There are many different reasons why you should get rid of duplicate content. One of the biggest reasons is that you can become a less trusted source because you do not provide clients with unique, high-quality content. People want to see that you know your stuff and if you’re constantly duplicating your articles or content by others, you will look like you’re just making it up as you go. Some other reasons are:
- It Will Get You a Penalty from Google. Another really important reason to get rid of duplicate content is because you can and will, get a penalty from Google. When their algorithms scour Internet-land for awesome web pages and content, they make sure that websites with spam-quality material aren’t ranked. Duplicate content can make your site look like a spam-filled site, even if you are a truly legitimate business. Why would this happen? Because this is something spammers like to do – they see a website or blog, they copy that site or blog, and then they attempt to be successful. Google wanted to stop this and issued a decree that any content that looked manipulative or deceptive would be penalized.
- It Makes for a Negative User Experience. I briefly touched on this in the above paragraph, but when you have duplicate content, you’re creating a negative experience for your customers. When clients come to your site, they want to see something that they enjoy and that helps set you apart. If you have the same content on multiple web pages, it will become boring and be an overall negative experience for your readers. Take user experience into mind when you are creating content to help you avoid duplicating anything!
- It Doesn’t Help You Stand Out. When you write content, a major goal is to stand out from your competitors and become a trusted source. You want content that is useful and engaging for your readers to drive clicks, engagement, and revenue. However, if you use duplicate content, you are risking losing readers and not converting any leads. In fact, duplicate copy keeps you hidden and you won’t stand out from your competitor, especially if they have unique content on each page. Duplicate content does not only hurt you on ranking with Google, but it also hurts your overall revenue, so don’t be fooled into thinking it will save you money.
How Can You Get Rid of It if Already Published?
Now that I’ve covered why duplicate content is bad, you might be wondering just how to get rid of it. You may have intentionally used duplicate copy or you may be worried you accidentally duplicated content. Either way, there are a few things you can do to get rid of it.
- Delete the Duplicate Content. The first, obvious step, is to delete any duplicate copy you know about to get rid of it quickly. This can be troublesome if it is for multiple products or other necessary landing pages, but you can easily rework and rewrite it. You don’t want to leave it up there for much longer, as a precaution, so as soon as you can delete and replace, do so. Just how can you replace it quickly? I am going to take a look at that in my next point.
- Get New Content to Replace it. Before or after deleting the duplicate content, you should get new content to replace it. You don’t want to leave your landing pages void of content. However, you might not have the time to rewrite new content. A great way to get awesome, individual content pieces is to hire copywriters to help you create new content that will help you stand out from your competitors.
- Get a Content Audit to Find Accidents. Now, what about the unintentional duplicate content? It does happen, but it can be overwhelming not knowing what you should do or how to find it. A great way to find any duplicate content you may be missing is to have a content audit to take stock of your web pages and blogs. Once you’ve done this, you can start finding duplicate content and delete and replace it quickly to get your site back on track.
Get Rid of Duplicate Content and Have the Perfect Site
Duplicate content does happen, especially accidentally, and thankfully Google does seem to understand this. However, you need to make sure that you work hard to have little to no duplicate content on your website. If you are looking for great, unique content to share or to replace existing duplicates, then consider hiring a copywriting agency, such as Express Writers to help cover all bases. This will help you get expertly written content and help you get rid of duplicate content quicker than if you were to take the time and write it yourself. Don’t hesitate to ask us any questions about how we can help you get rid of duplicate content!
Photo credit: macniak / iStock