#NaNoWriMo16 is upon us!
For those of you that don’t know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, sponsored by a nonprofit organization. It’s a worldwide, “virtual” contest for writing a 50,000 word novel between November 1 and November 30. If you’re successful at that many words inside a month, you earn the NaNoWriMo badge and trophy. It’s a cool idea to get writers out of their shells, great books written, and creativity out into the open.
Express Writers, NaNoWriMo16 & Cinderella
I hadn’t participated since I was a teenager on Writing.com, but this year when I received an invitation from our content marketing friends at addmustard, I couldn’t resist! They were putting together a 10x style content marketing series and were inviting the top content marketers to get involved and contribute a fairytale-esque piece with top ideas for 2017 content marketing, running one story each week of November for NaNoWriMo. Mine was the feature for the first week.
The story I put together for addmustard was: How Well Does the Shoe Fit? 5 Strategies for Finding Your Content Sweet Spot. I correlated the Cinderella story with finding your niche audience-fit as a content marketer. Addmustard turned it into a beautifully designed book!
In my Cinderella-inspired content marketing piece, I discuss five key strategies to find your sweet spot as a content marketer (like putting on Cinderella’s shoe):
- Fit your content to the unique attributes of your reader (know your reader’s demographic and behavior)
- Focus on just one person instead of a group (similar to going house to house, person to person, to find the perfect fit for the Cinderella shoe)
- Narrow down your niche to find your exact-match, and find the keywords that bring in this traffic
- Know the competition trying to squeeze into the same shoe (so you can do better and be the successful shoe messenger)
- Know the magic of your shoe (what to offer your customer when the shoe fits–their ideal products should align to what you offer them)
I had so much fun participating in #NaNoWriMo with addmustard, and creating a piece around a story in my favorite genre, fiction. (One day I’ll retire and just write fiction.)
Writers: thinking of getting involved? Need a way to hone your writing skills and join a community of like-minded writers? It’s only mid-November, and NaNoWriMo is open! Get involved at NaNoWriMo.org.