Today, my husband joins me for the first time ever on the Write Podcast.
Today we’re covering a topic that’s huge in the content marketing industry: outsourcing your content!
In this episode, I’m talking to you, content creators and writers! Be inspired as I share why and how you should stick to your guns about the quality you provide and the rates you set as an expert.
I’m also talking to you, agencies and marketers. Learn how to work with content writers for better success.
But first, we’re eavesdropping on a sales call with a marketer who is a bit clueless about both… and I was able to convince my husband to play the marketer’s role.
Josh McCoy joins in as Marketer “Cowboy Joe,” and I’m playing myself.
You’ve got to listen in on this one. ?
The Write Podcast, E36: An Outsourcing Story Narrated by Julia & Josh McCoy Show Notes
- 0:01 – An Outsourcing Story. Listen in to hear a sales call to Express Writers from Joe, a marketer who wants masses of SEO content at bargain bin rates.
- 2:53 – Why the Outsourcing Story Is Nothing New. Even though content marketing and content creation have come a long, long way since Express Writers first launched, we STILL get clients who want cut-throat rates for their content – and then get burned when they settle for bargain quality.
- 4:37 – Setting Rock-Bottom Rates Sets an Unsustainable Standard in the Content Creation Industry. Many of EW’s competitors set extremely low rates for content writing. But, to create truly great, quality content that gets results, you need to aim higher.
- 5:23 – Content Writers: Never Compromise on Quality and Rates! To set better standards in the industry, ones we can all benefit from, we need to stop accepting low rates and compromising our content writing just to make a quick dime.
- 6:21 – How We’ve Changed at Express Writers to Refocus on Quality. We used to give in and give discounts to clients just to get the sale. I explain why that’s not our policy anymore and how it ties into refusing to compromise. This includes not compromising on the time and creativity it takes to create high-quality, amazing content.
- 9:10 – Clients: 3 Pitfalls to Avoid When Outsourcing Your Writing and Content Creation. There are three mistakes it’s really easy to make when you need to outsource your content writing. The first one: Going in without a strategy, i.e. not knowing what types of content you need, not defining your brand voice, and not knowing your audience.
- 10:53 – Content Creation Is One of the Top Outsourced Activities in the Industry, According to CMI. The stigma around outsourcing your content writing is continually shrinking. I talk about why that’s happening and why it’s so great for content writers.
Quotes to TweetBecause we have competitors that charge very low, this sets an expectation. Marketers see that price, and they think, 'oh, that's the going rate' when that reflects very low quality. @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet The day we all as writers agree to never compromise, is the day this question will stop coming our way: 'Hey, can you go low for high-volume orders?' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet Whenever we turn a client away, it comes from a place of ‘This is our expertise, this is our knowledge, this is what we know, this is what we're good at.’ We stand there, and don't bat an eye. @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet 'If you have the skills and expertise... you can stand on your knowledge and not give in to that client. You won't feel like a salesperson who is just after their money, whenever you ask for that big number.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet 'In this industry of content creation, the best deal really doesn't mean the best content.' @JuliaEMccoy Click To Tweet
- Learn more about outsourcing your content, and tell us in the comments if Josh McCoy should return as a guest on the show, in this blog!
- Check out my FREE, on-demand, 60-minute masterclass: The 6 Step Framework to a Profitable, SEO-Optimized Content Strategy: Content Strategy & Marketing Masterclass