The Write Podcast, Episode 43: Michele Linn on Why & How Original Research Is a Must for Marketers & Brands Today
On this episode of The Write Podcast, I’m thrilled to talk with the one and only Michele Linn. She was one of Content Marketing Institute’s first employees, where she was the head of editorial. She’s an industry leader who has written hundreds of articles, has spoken at countless events, and has been named one of the top women in media.
For episode 43, I’m picking Michele’s brain on original research and why it’s an awesome tool for better content, more leads, more engagement, and more authority for your brand/company. Get ready for some good insights!
The Write Podcast, Episode 43: Michele Linn on Why & How Original Research Is a Must for Marketers & Brands Today (Show Notes)
- 2:00 – What is Original Research? From interviews to your own data collected from your web analytics or analysis, original research can take many forms. Michele briefly explains.
- 2:49 – Examples of Original Research Done Well. Mantis Research is all about “helping marketers create, publish, and amplify their own original research,” according to Michele. She lists tons of great examples of marketers using this type of research, including LendEDU, PwC, and the annual CMI research report.
- 7:02 – Michele’s Thoughts on “Top 100” Lists. “Top” lists are super-popular these days as original research offerings, but when are they truly effective?
- 9:10 – Why Should Marketers Prioritize Original Research? Research costs both time and money to gather, analyze, and publish. Why is it worth it?
- 12:17 – How Do You Pick Topics for Original Research? According to Michele, you should look at your brand goals and let them guide you toward the right original research topic.
- 15:40 – How Much Time Does One Original Research Piece Take to Create? Michele says the length of time needed to create and/or gather original research depends on the type of report, study, or poll you’re doing. She also tells us ways to optimize the number of respondents you get for studies.
- 17:17 – What About Polls? There are strategic times to use specific types of original research. Michele tells us when using polls makes the most sense.
- 18:00 – What’s the Best Way to Promote Original Research? Michele says, to get the most out of your research, you need to amplify it. She lists a few good ways to do just that.
Episode 43 Favorite Quotes to Tweet
“When you have that data, there is the opportunity to take it and use it in any channel your company or brand is actually in. It translates into so many different things – it’s not going to go out of style as the trends come and go.”… Click To Tweet
“(For original research,) it all comes back to goals. Are you doing your research to be a thought leader in the space? Are you doing it for backlinks? Are you doing it for shares?” @michelelinn via @writepodcast Click To Tweet
“A lot of marketers have plans on how to do the research, but they don’t necessarily have plans on how to get more out of that investment and out of that time spent.” @michelelinn via @writepodcast Click To Tweet
Write Podcast Episode 43 Links Mentioned
- PwC’s CEO Survey
- CMI’s B2B Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends Report
- Follow Michele:
- Freelancers, entrepreneurs, and agencies: Looking for content marketing strategy training? What about content writing knowledge? Check out my two courses: