The Write Podcast, E28: Strategies to Help You Develop Your Marketing Message with Small Business Expert Ivana Taylor
Welcome to episode 28 of The Write Podcast!
Today we’re diving into a huge topic for any marketer, whether you’re just starting out or are an old hand in your niche: your marketing message.
Our guest who will be offering tons of tips and advice on this topic is Ivana Taylor of DIY Marketers.
As a small business marketing expert, Ivana has over 20 years of experience in the industry. She’s an online publisher and influencer and the creator of DIY Marketers, which is dedicated to helping small business owners on tight budgets meet their marketing goals.
This is a meaty episode with lots of actionable insights. Listen in and enjoy!
The Write Podcast, E28: Strategies to Help You Develop Your Marketing Message with Small Business Expert Ivana Taylor Show Notes:
- 1:43 – 3:00: About Ivana (and How We Know Each Other!) I met Ivana in real life at Content Marketing World, and we regularly engage on Twitter.
- 3:04 – 6:44: Marketing Tips for Businesses Just Getting Their Feet Wet. How can a new business find and solidify their marketing message? Ivana has four words for you: Give yourself some space. From her personal experience, she shares why it’s so important to work for your own marketing
- 6:55 – 8:10: How Active Listening Is One of Your Best Tools. Ivana describes how listening is a must if you want to glean your ultimate marketing message, one that encapsulates you and drives your business forward. However, you have to listen the right way to get the right information.
- 8:12 – 9:13: How Express Writers Differentiated with Our Message. I talk about how, once EW found its message, we leaned into it and showcased it on our Values page and got great results.
- 9:13 – 12:35: Three Questions Every Successful Brand Answers with Their Marketing Message. Ivana divulges the three KEY questions every successful brand has definitively answered. The first one is “Who are you being in the world?”
- 12:37 – 16:18: How Do You Answer Those Questions for Yourself? I talk about how going straight to your customers and talking to them can help you get the answers you need. Ivana adds helpful tips on HOW to go to your customers. A big one: Hire someone impartial to survey/interview your audience!
- 16:21 – 20:36: Once You Know Your Marketing Message, How Do You Deliver It? Ivana talks about ways to deliver your message via blogging, email, and other channels. One great tip: Repurpose your best content that helps broadcast your message across various channels and platforms.
- 20:40 – 23:52: How to Position Yourself as a Leader with Your Marketing Message. How do you come off as an expert when you don’t feel like one (for instance, you don’t have the experience/degree/what-have-you that you think you should)? According to Ivana, it all comes down to your point of view and expressing it distinctly and clearly.
- 23:57 – 27:05: Play to Your Strengths! Spend time developing your strengths as a marketer instead of trying to improve your weaknesses. Ivana recommends checking out the book StrengthsFinder to help you pinpoint and put words to exactly what your strengths are. This can help drive your message.
- 27:06 – 28:55: Own Your Authority. Finally, Ivana says that to come across as an authority and get your message heard, you have to own that title.
Favorite Quotes to Tweet:
My number one tip is to give yourself time and space, and dig into ‘what is your business about?’ @diymarketers Click To Tweet
Ask yourself: 'Why am I doing this? Why does this matter to me, to the customer, or to anybody else?’ @diymarketers Click To Tweet
'Listen to customers: but don’t just listen TO what they’re saying, listen FOR what they’re saying.' @diymarketers Click To Tweet
'Marketing isn’t about what you do. It’s about who you are.' @diymarketers Click To Tweet
'Choose a side and stand in the place of a leader or an authority.' @diymarketers Click To Tweet
'Be the expert that you intend to be; do the things that experts do; & you’ll have what experts have.' @diymarketers Click To Tweet
- Check out StrengthsFinder 2.0 on Amazon
- Follow Ivana on Twitter: @DIYMarketers
- Follow her on LinkedIn
- Email her questions at email@example.com
- Join in for her Twitter chat, #BizapaloozaChat, on Mondays at 2 p.m. ET
- Get my new book, Practical Content Strategy & Marketing
- See my all-new Practical Content Strategy Certification Course at www.contentstrategycourses.com – code WRITEPODCAST5 saves $49.85 on enrollment costs