The Write Podcast, Episode 18: The Secrets of Customer-Centric Content: How to Discover What Keeps Them Craving More with Keesa Schreane
Listen to “E18 The Secrets of Customer-Centric Content: How to Discover What Keeps Them Craving More with Keesa Schreane” on Spreaker.
I first listened to Keesa Schreane last November at the Search Engine Journal Summit in NYC, where she covered Inspired Marketing: How To Leverage Emotions In SEO. Her presentation was of so much value that I had to invite her onto my podcast! We connected on Twitter, then LinkedIn, and the rest is history. 🙂
Keesa, the API, platform and analytics content marketing head at Thomson Reuters, joined me today to discuss how online content works hand-in-hand with customer relationships and service. This is a unique topic to my podcast, and one to be sure to listen to all the way through.
If there’s one thing I think that’s not maximized enough in today’s content marketing world, it’s how to draw out super valuable content ideas from the very problems your own customers face daily. If you can uncover that, you’ll discover the hottest content topics to talk about to capture a motivated audience who will only enlarge your own customer base!
Win, win. Keesa is all about serving those you sell to–and her ideas are golden.
Enjoy this week’s episode!
The Write Podcast, Episode 18: The Secrets of Customer-Centric Content- How to Discover What Keeps Them Craving More with Keesa Schreane Show Notes
While Keesa’s background is in journalism, she’s spent years writing about personal finance, entrepreneurism, and careers. People describe her as “curious” and she believes deeply in maintaining this as a marketer, as well as a journalist.
This curiosity lead her into a career with entrepreneurs. In this podcast, Keesa talks about why she loves working with entrepreneurs so much, and how this dynamic group of innovators has led her to develop her own outlook on customer service, content, and digital relationships:
In our conversation, Keesa and I discuss the following:
- Keesa’s role at Thomson Reuters. Keesa also gives us a glimpse into how she arrived at her dynamic role, and how her background influenced her decisions (and how curiosity is so important to content marketers!)
- Why we build the things we build. Keesa talks about how great customer service and communication tie into great content. Keesa helps listeners understand how businesses can use customer service to develop great relationships while also incorporating the mission into the content they create, to create massively effective content!
- Why it’s important to talk to your client ‘as if they were a 6-year old.’ While jargon can be tempting, Keesa describes why she thinks clarity and simplicity are central to shareable content–even with a high-level audience!
- How businesses can start building a core message for their audiences. Plus, the importance of fleshing your customer personas out into real, semi-fictional people.
- How to communicate and reach your target audience most effectively. Keesa talks about why it’s critical to read what your audience reads and visit the platforms they love.
- How brands can provide the message of “great customer service” and show you care for your customers through content and branding. How building a “use case” can help set up your workflow and show your customer you understand their processes.
- How to keep your audiences coming back once you have them hooked. And how finding out how your service and product is important to your clients will help you predict their future pain points.
Favorite Quotes to Tweet
'Be clear on why you do what you do, and marry that to a need in the marketplace.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
'Great customer service and communication ties into great content.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet
'Businesses can tie in great customer relationships to their copy = massively effective!' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet
'How to keep them coming back for more: know where your customer hangs out. Get to know X by knowing where X hangs out. Understand what motivates them, what’s important to them.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
'If you're not ahead of the trends, in content marketing, you're behind.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet
'Have one-on-one conversations with your customers so you can serve them best.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
'Nurture a client relationship by talking to customers. Listen to them, but also ask them questions. Be right there with them on their next question.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
'I know it's old-school, but I use Excel as my editorial calendar.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet
'Sometimes, old school is all you need.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
Reach out to a small trial group of customers, maybe a dozen, and ask: 'Hey, this is what I’m thinking about for next quarter blog. Does this resonate with you?' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
'Look for topics that prompt more conversation.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
'We want every point in the customer journey to be the best for that customer – to be tailor-made for that customer.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
'If a writer sticks to the story, the readers are going to be drawn to the authenticity of the article.' @KeesaCamille Click To Tweet
- LinkedIn Groups – Here’s how to join a few!
- Follow Keesa on Twitter: @KeesaCamille
Follow Keesa’s articles in Startup Grind and LinkedIn Pulse
- Stay tuned for the You’ve Been Served Podcast with Keesa Schreane, hitting iTunes in February!