Welcome to episode 30 of The Write Podcast!
For our 30th episode, I’m doing things a little differently. It’s just me in a solo episode, sharing the secrets behind how I was able to do it all last year: create and launch a course, run an agency of more than 40 team members, write and self-publish a 366-page book, launch a YouTube show, try public speaking for the first time, and, publish more than 70 posts – all while maintaining a home life (and my sanity).
“How on earth do you get that done?” is probably the #1 question my community asked me throughout all of 2017.
Finally, you learn my productivity secrets. It’s all right here. Listen in!
Sit down with me and grab some ideas to beat content laziness and boost your own productivity and professional output for 2018. ?
And don’t forget to head on over to my Content Strategy Course site to read the in-depth blog I wrote, for the full case study: www.bit.ly/juliasproductivitycasestudy
The Write Podcast, E30: Productivity Improvement for Content Creators & Writers (How I Completely Beat Content Creation Laziness & Had My Best Year Ever)
1:40: Part 1 – My Productivity Case Study
- 1:40 – 3:12: What I Accomplished in 2017. I had a full plate last year, no question. I give a run-down of what I was able to accomplish professionally, including creating a course, writing a book, and launching a YouTube show.
- 3:15 – 3:56: Read the Case Study. For an in-depth, detailed look at how I did it all last year, read about my process at the link provided (see “Links Mentioned” below).
3:57: Part 2 – How Exactly Did My Productivity Take Off? + 18 Actionable Productivity Tips
- 4:30 – 4:57: The Number One Reason Behind My Super-Powered Productivity in 2017. I credit the long task of creating the in-depth curriculum for my course as the instigator for my improved productivity.
- 4:58 – 6:54: Forming New, Productive Habits and What the Studies Say. The idea that it takes 21 days to form a new habit is a myth. So, what does it really take? I cite some studies that provide enlightenment, then show how my own experience proves the research. It’s no joke (it’s hard), but it worked for me.
- 6:56 – 7:19: Setting Deadlines and Accountability That Stick. Another reason behind my productivity: I put some accountability factors in place from which I couldn’t back down.
- 7:20 – 9:16: Becoming My Most Productive Self. I talk about how the new habits I have formed from 2 rigorous months of hard work have paid off.
9:17: 18 Actionable Productivity Tips
- 9:17 – 10:08: My #1 Tip. Choose your work environment carefully – don’t just work anywhere. Have a dedicated space where you get sh*t done.
- 10:10 – 13:02: Productivity Tips 2-4 – My Recommendations for the Best Work Environment. The next few tips are all about where you sit, how you sit, and how they can affect your output. For instance, tip #3 is to work in natural light, which boosts your mood, helps eliminate headaches that fluorescent lighting can cause, and more.
- 13:05 – 16:36: Tips 5-9 – Increase Your Speed. Invest in better tech, improve your typing speed, know some handy keyboard and tech shortcuts, and your output will be able to keep up with your brain power!
- 16:37 – 19:50: Tips 10-13 – Make Healthy Productivity Habits Part of Daily Living. One part of being productive (and staying productive for the long-haul) involves taking care of your body. If your body is fueled with nutrients, hydrated, and energized, you’ll be able to work better, including focus better, longer. I share my favorite tips for doing just that.
- 19:52 – 24:00: Tips 14-15 – Set Deadlines, Get Up Earlier, and Get an Accountability Partner. This is the winning trifecta that helped me successfully finish my course in 2017. I explain how they go hand-in-hand-in-hand (there’s a lot of stumbling in this story, but the point is I pulled through some hard early wake-ups!).
- 24:02 – 25:20: Tip 16 – Listen to Music for Focus. The right music can make a huge difference for focus. I recommend my favorite type to play while I work.
- 25:22 – 26:32: Tip 17 – Get the Support You Need. This tip is especially big for entrepreneurs. No one can do it all alone.
- 26:34 – 27-13: Tip 18 – Busy ≠ Productive. Don’t just spin your wheels. Multi-tasking can go overboard. Focus on getting the right stuff done.
Favorite Quotes to Tweet:'Forming a habit in 21 days is a myth. It takes 2+ months before a new behavior becomes automatic.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet 'A 2-month period to complete a project and teach yourself a new schedule can impact your productivity.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet 'The easiest thing to do when the going gets hard: stop. Habit training can show you how to counteract that feeling.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet 'Give yourself deadlines for everything and then work to meet them, if not beat them.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet
- Read my productivity case study and check out links to recommended products and tools
- Sign up for the Content Strategy Certification Course
- Get 5 lessons from the course free!
- Get my new book, Practical Content Strategy & Marketing
- See my all-new Practical Content Strategy Certification Course at www.contentstrategycourses.com – code WRITEPODCAST5 saves $49.85 on enrollment costs