Welcome to Episode 23 of the Write Podcast! Today, I’m completely honored to publish an episode with one of my favorite industry influencers – Joe Pulizzi himself, the guy in orange, and the founder of Content Marketing Institute!
Today’s guest really needs no introduction if you work in the content marketing space. Joe Pulizzi is the founder of one of my favorite publications, Content Marketing Institute. He has been working in content marketing for nearly two decades and is considered one of the foremost authorities on the topic.
In this episode, we talk about the history of content marketing, including Joe’s unique role in its development. We also cover some major misconceptions about content marketing that are holding many companies back.
The Write Podcast, E23: Content Marketing Yesterday & Today, A Look Back & 2 Reasons Why Brands Miss Out on Content Opportunities with Joe Pulizzi
- 2:20 – 5:20: How Joe Got Started in Content Marketing. Originally, Joe worked in insurance but had an active interest in investing. This took him to About.com, where he eventually worked as the Investment Club Editor. Later, Joe began working for Penton Media and would go on to run their media department. This is where Joe became interested in content marketing as an approach.
- 5:30 – 7:30: The History of Content Marketing. Joe and Julia briefly discuss the history of content marketing. While many people think of content marketing as being a new field, Joe mentioned that it actually goes back hundreds of years. One prime example is Ben Franklin using Poor Richard’s Almanac to help sell printing services.
- 8:27 – 13:05: What Is Content Marketing? Joe may have popularized the term, “content marketing”, but it was actually used throughout the 90s, albeit inconsistently. Alternative terms included: “branded content”, “custom publishing”, and “custom media.” However, content marketing resonated best with marketers (though Brian Clark from Copyblogger never liked it).
- 11:11 – 15:45: How Can You Stand Out from the Competition? Most companies don’t have a strategy to begin with. There’s no differentiation. Everything looks the same. The goal needs to be covering a specific topic in an in-depth way with expert information so you’re actually delivering value.
- 15:55 – 17:00: Killing Marketing. Joe talks about his book, Killing Marketing. It describes 10 different ways to derive revenue from marketing and how to overhaul your entire business plan based on your marketing goals.
- 18:33 – 18:50: The Most Important Marketing Goal. Joe reiterates the two biggest issues for brands of every size: are you telling a differentiated story and are you consistently delivering on your content promise?
Favorite Quotes to Tweet“Where most people are struggling is they don’t have a strategy.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcastClick To Tweet “There are case studies that go back 300 years for content marketing. We just never looked at it that way.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcastClick To Tweet
Click To Tweet entry anymore.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcast” quote=”“There are no technology barriers to [content marketing] entry anymore.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcast”] “You really do have to create valuable, relevant, and differentiated stories.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcastClick To Tweet “You can’t target more than one audience.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcast #contentmarketingClick To Tweet “Ask yourself: can you be the leading informational expert on that topic?” @JoePulizzi @writepodcast #contentfactorClick To Tweet “Relook at your marketing department as something that can basically be the business model for the entire business.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcastClick To Tweet “Six months isn’t enough time to build a loyal relationship.” @JoePulizzi @writepodcast #contentmarketinglengthClick To Tweet
- Follow Joe on Twitter: @JoePulizzi
- Visit Content Marketing Institute
- Joe also has a podcast: This Old Marketing
- Check out his website, joepulizzi.com
- Visit him on Twitter: @JoePulizzi
- Killing Marketing comes out September 8th
- You can also see him speak at Content Marketing World Conference and Expo
- Get notified when Julia’s Content Strategy Certification Course goes live at www.courses.expresswriters.com!