Welcome to Episode 21 of the Write Podcast. I’m thrilled to have Sujan Patel back on the show today! He was on my top-shared episode of all-time, back in Episode 6. Sujan is known as a leading internet marketer. He’s also the Co-Founder of Web Profits, a blogger and contributor to Forbes, Inc., and Entrepreneur, and is a prominent speaker at marketing and tech conferences around the globe.
Known for being a risk-taker that pushes the limits, Sujan has spent his life focusing on finding smart ways to help entrepreneurs grow their businesses and make serious impact online. He specializes in helping founders and entrepreneurs learn to create killer content – be it a videos, blog, or a long-form guide.
Today, I’m exploring with Sujan a topic that virtually all content marketers struggle with: productivity and making ROI happen. As we all know, content marketing is a long haul, and Sujan and I talk a lot about how he stays focused and avoids burnout. We also talk about the nature of marketing itself: How long is the long haul? How do you create content that’s worth publishing for your audience? How do you give them the information they want to know?
The Write Podcast, E21: Why Content Marketing Isn’t An Overnight Success, & How to Be Productive in Yours with Sujan Patel
Here are a few of the winners from this episode:
- 6:00-7:00: How to apply repetition after success for the best results in your content. Instead of coming up with a weekly cadence and trying to make it successful, Sujan recommends attacking it the other way around.
- 7:00 – 8:00 : Why you need to say “no” more than “yes” with your content. And how this can help you stay focused in your content.
- 12:00 – 15:00: Several ways that Sujan involves the questions of his audience and customers and creates content around them. TIP: Sujan looks for questions that repeat constantly in conversations with clients in sales or support threads. Questions that are repeated 3, 4, 5x are high value to his audience. He has a spreadsheet going.
- 15:30 – 18:00: I talk about AnswerthePublic.com and what a fantastic tool it is for discovering audience questions, plus how to use it. Sujan adds what his team does to find questions that will make great content and discusses what phase to use Answerthepublic.com in.
- 16:45: Content isn’t a one-person task anymore! If you want it to work, you’ll need more involved to help you scale it.
- 18:10 – 20:00: Sujan discusses his favorite tools in content marketing! He categorizes his favorite tools by what helps him with research and creation. A great section for curious marketers.
- 20:55 – 22:00: Sujan talks about how he creates content, and what his editing and ideation process looks like.
Favorite Quotes to Tweet'Content marketing is like a savings account. You don't get rich overnight but if you keep at it, it pays off.' @sujanpatel Click To Tweet '#Contentmarketing: At the end of the day, it’s all about consistency.' @sujanpatel Click To Tweet 'If you’re looking for results today, content marketing isn’t for you. But next year, you’re gonna wish you started it last year.' @sujanpatel Click To Tweet 'Say no more than yes when creating content, and focus on quality.' @sujanpatel Click To Tweet On #ContentMarketing: 'If you can’t hang, don’t do it.' @sujanpatel Click To Tweet 'To appeal to your audience, make sure to create content that’s talked about.' @sujanpatel Click To Tweet 'The difference between you and your closest competitor determines the success.' @sujanpatel Click To Tweet 'It’s not just about volume, it’s about quality in content marketing.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet 'We launched #authoritycontent last year to answer the need of content marketers.' @JuliaEMcCoy Click To Tweet
- See Sujan’s SlideShare discussing favorite tools: https://www.slideshare.net/singlegrain/content-creation-process-71663225
Tools Sujan Recommends:
- Moz: https://moz.com/
- SEMrush: https://www.semrush.com/
- Trello: https://trello.com/
- Wordable.io: https://www.wordable.io/
- Facebook Ads: https://www.facebook.com/business/products/ads
- OutBrain: http://www.outbrain.com/
- MailShake: https://mailshake.com/
- Quuupromote.co: www.quuupromote.co